Members of St. Joseph Parish, 4801 S. Hermitage, escort the statue of Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos through the neighborhood surrounding the church on Oct. 3. The statue was visiting from the small town of San Juan de los Lagos located in central Mexico. The shrine dedicated to this image of Mary is the second most visited shrine in Mexico. Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos gained fame when a Spanish priest in 1623 brought a statue of the Virgin to the village. In that year a young Indian peasant girl recovered from an illness when her parents prayed to the statue.
Photo: Karen Callaway / Catholic New World