Fr. William Devine
Father William J. Devine, the founding pastor of St. Julie Billiart Parish in Tinley Park and pastor emeritus of Most Holy Redeemer Parish in Evergreen Park, died May 3. He was 90 years old.
A Chicago native, Father Devine graduated from Our Lady of Grace School, Quigley Preparatory Seminary and the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary before being ordained in 1948.
He served as assistant pastor at Precious Blood (1948-1955), St. Sabina (1955-1964), St. Tarcissus (1964-1968) and Our Lady of the Ridge, Chicago Ridge (1968- 1973).
In 1974, Father Devine was assigned to be the founding pastor of St. Julie Billiart Parish, which was yet to be built in Tinley Park. He led that parish for the next 14 years, until he was named pastor of Most Holy Redeemer Parish in Evergreen Park in 1987. He retired from active ministry five years later and was named pastor emeritus of Most Holy Redeemer in 1992.
Father Devine was a recipient in 2011 of the Cure d’Ars Award, named after St. John Vianney, a French priest and the patron saint of priests, given by St. Joseph College Seminary. The award honors priests who are exemplary in their service to the archdiocese.
He is survived by his sister, Maureen Bartholomew.
Fr. Charles Scanlon
Divine Word Father Charles Scanlon, 85, a longtime missionary in the Philippines, died April 3 at Techny. Father Scanlon served more than four decades as a missionary in the Philippines.
A Cleveland, Ohio, native, he professed vows with the Society of the Divine Word in 1947 and was ordained to the priesthood in 1954. After his decades in the Philippines, he returned to the United States in 2002.
Father Scanlon is survived by two sisters, Mabel Ray and Rene Weber.
Sr. Janvier Williams
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Janvier Williams, 83, died April 3 in Sinsinawa, Wis.
A Chicago native, Sister Janvier made her first vows in 1950, and her final vows in 1953.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Janvier taught at St. Jarlath (1967-1968), St. Brendan (1968-1969), St. Thomas the Apostle (1977-1980), St. Ambrose (1982-1985), St. Margaret of Scotland (1988-1990), Our Lady of Peace (1990-1991) and St. Clare of Montefalco (1991-2001). She was principal at St. Sabina (1970-1977) and Immaculate Conception (1980-1982), a guidance counselor at Hales Franciscan High School (1985-1988) and a volunteer there (2001-2008).
Sr. Constance Kraul
Sister of St. Joseph Constance Kraul, 98, died April 6.
A member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of LaGrange for 79 years, she taught at St. Barbara, Brookfield; St. Attracta, St. Bonaventure and Mount Carmel for a total of 13 years and at Nazareth Academy, LaGrange Park, for 16 years. She also was a leader in her community.
Sr. Kathleen Gaynor
Adrian Dominican Sister Kathleen (George Michael) Gaynor, 77, died April 9 in Adrian, Mich. A Detroit native, she was in her 59th year of religious life.
Sister Kathleen ministered as a teacher, in religious education, in provincial leadership, as a pastoral associate and as director of the Justice and Peace Office for the Archdiocese of Detroit.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Nicholas of Tolentine (1954- 1957).
Sr. Kathryn Maher
BVM Sister Kathryn (Madeleine) Maher, 93, died April 11 in Dubuque, Iowa.
An Illinois native, she entered the BVM congregation in 1937 and professed final vows in 1944.
Sister Kathryn taught at Our Lady Help of Christians and Our Lady of Angels; served as assistant principal/ dean of girls at Carmel High School, Mundelein; and was an administrative assistant and bibliographic researcher at Loyola University Chicago.
In retirement she volunteered at Sheridan Hospital, Mundelein College and Misericordia.
She is survived by her brothers, Father Thomas Maher, Father Arthur Maher and Joseph Maher; and a sister, Nelle Kinsella.
Sr. Marjorie Ann McEntee
Adrian Dominican Sister Marjorie Ann (Rose Edmund) McEntee, 86, died April 11 in Adrian, Mich.
A Michigan native, she was in the 68th year of religious life. She ministered in education in Illinois, Michigan, Florida and Alabama.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Phillip Neri (1946-1947), St. Rita (1947-1949) and St. Columbanus (1952-1958).
Sister Marjorie is survived by her brothers, Andrew and Harry.