Sr. Agatha (Mary) Preis
Sister of the Holy Family of Nazareth Agatha (Mary) Preis, 102, died May 15.
A Pennsylvania native, Mary Preis moved with her family to Chicago when the coal miners went on strike. She attended Holy Family Academy in Chicago and joined the congregation in 1926.
She spent 55 years in the classroom. In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at Immaculate Heart of Mary for 10 years and St. Hyacinth for eight years. A teacher in the primary grades, Sister Agatha became an expert first-grade teacher.
At age 75, Sister Agatha retired from teaching and served as sacristan at St. Camillus for three years. At age 78, she transferred to the Provincialate in Des Plaines, where she was in charge of maintenance for eight years. In 1996, when the new Provincialate opened across the street on River Road in Des Plaines, Sister Agatha helped with clearing out the old building. Next, she served as seamstress at the Provincialate, eventually retiring to Nazarethville in Des Plaines.
Sr. Mary Veronica Carmody
Sister of St. Joseph Mary Veronica Carmody, 90, died May 25.
She had been in religious life for 70 years.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she had taught at St. Leonard, Berwyn; Mount Carmel, Melrose Park; Mount Carmel, Chicago Heights; and St. Cletus, LaGrange.
Sister M. Adrian Davis
Little Company of Mary Sister M. Adrian Davis, 77, died May 26 at St. Mary’s Medical Center in Evansville, Ind.
An Iowa native, she entered the Little Company of Mary Sisters in Evergreen Park in 1953 and made final vows in 1960.
Sister M. Adrian served at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park as head newborn nurse, pediatrics supervisor and obstetrics/gynecology supervisor (1959-1970); as an instructor of medical social work at Abraham Lincoln School of Medicine in Chicago (1970- 1972); and director of patient and family counseling at Little Company of Mary Hospital (1972-1983). She was instrumental in developing the first hospice program at Little Company of Mary Hospital and served as department director in 1983. She then moved on to hospitals in Michigan and Indiana.
She is survived by her sister, Judith Bradley.
Br. William R. Haas
Jesuit Brother William R. Haas, 86, who was in religious life for 65 years, died May 26 in Ann Arbor, Mich.
An Illinois native, Brother Haas entered the Jesuit novitiate in 1947 and began infirmary training in 1949.
He served as infirmarian at several Jesuit institutions, and was the assistant for province health care at the Loyola University Jesuit Residence (1978-1980).
In 1985, he began a much different role as the director of facilities and community treasurer at Bellarmine Jesuit Retreat House in Barrington, where he remained until 2006.
He is survived by a sister.
Sr. Mary Elizabeth Hegarty
School Sister of Notre Dame Mary Elizabeth (Roseann) Hegarty, 94, died May 26 at Resurrection Life Center in Chicago. She had been a professed member of the School Sisters of Notre Dame for 72 years.
A Chicago native, she entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1936 and made first vows in 1939.
She ministered at St. Margaret of Scotland in Chicago for 34 years starting in 1967. She served largely as a teacher of intermediate grades, and during her last five years there as a librarian.
In 2001, Sister Elizabeth retired to the nearby Academy of Our Lady Convent, and in 2005, she moved to Resurrection Life Center.
Sr. M. Teresilda Daleiden
Sister of Christian Charity M. Teresilda (Marie) Daleiden, 100, died May 27 at Sacred Heart Convent, Wilmette.
A Chicago native, she graduated from Josephinum High School before entering the religious community in 1929. She made her final vows in 1937.
She taught fifth and seventh grades at St. Aloysius School (1937-1941) and English, Spanish, religion and physical education at Mallinckrodt High School, Wilmette (1943-1950). She returned to Josephinum, where she taught English, Spanish and religion, (1950- 1953) and then served as principal (1953- 1957).
She returned to Josephinum 10 years later and again served as principal for two years, before moving to the motherhouse as assistant local treasurer.
She was again called to the motherhouse in 1985, this time as an instructor in the English as a Second Language program at Mallinckrodt College.
In 1999, Sister M. Teresilda moved to Sacred Heart Convent. She continued to assist at the convent and tutor until she retired in 2006.
Deacon Manuel Del Llano
CLASS OF 1996
Deacon Manuel Del Llano, 68, died on May 27.
Deacon Del Llano was ordained in 1996 and ministered at Our Lady of Mercy Parish, where he and his family were members for many years.
His wife, Maria Lourdes, predeceased him, as did one son. He is survived by son Manual Del Llano Jr. and three grandchildren.