Br. Joseph Dudek
Holy Cross Brother Andrew Dudek, 89, died Dec. 15 in Notre Dame, Ind.
Born in Phoenix, Ill., he worked as a machinist and draftsman and served in the U.S. Navy before entering the Congregation of the Holy Cross in 1948.
He taught at Holy Trinity (1952- 1959) and Holy Cross High School, River Forest (1970-1988). While at Holy Cross, he moderated a number of clubs and served for a time as athletic director.
He then was on staff at the brothers’ community in River Grove until he moved to Notre Dame in 2006. He developed a habit of clipping coupons and it is estimated that he saved the brothers about $500 a month on food and equipment.
Sr. Christella Carbaugh
Sister of the Living Word Christella (Catherine) Carbaugh, 82, died March 29 in Chicago.
Born in Chicago, she joined the Sisters of Christian Charity, who had educated her, in 1948, making her final vows in 1957. She served as a teacher and principal in Iowa, Palatine, Wilmette and Minnesota.
In 1975, she became a formative member of the Sisters of the Living Word and attended the Institute of Spiritual Leadership in Chicago. She went on to serve as co-director of Wellsprings in Westmont, also serving on the leadership team of the congregation.
She also served as a spiritual director, formation mentor and volunteer minister.
Marilyn Peters Krawczyk
LAY ECCLESIAL MINISTER
Marilyn Peters Krawczyk, 68, died on April 27.
An Illinois native, Ms. Krawczyk was certified as a director of religious education in 1986. She served in that capacity in numerous parishes in the Archdiocese of Chicago, including St. Pascal; St. Peter Damian, Bartlett; St. Thomas of Villanova, Palatine; Holy Cross (Deerfield); St. Monica; St. Matthew, Schaumburg; and St. Robert Bellarmine. In addition, she served as a catechetical consultant for the Office for Catechesis and Youth Ministry. She was called to lay ecclesial ministry in 2002.
Ms. Krawczyk played an active role in her parish, Church of the Holy Spirit, Schaumburg, serving as a lector, minister of care and member of the Spirit Players.
She is survived by her children Catherine Peters, Matthew Peters and Andrew Peters and eight grandchildren.
Sr. Loretta Fabish
School Sister of Notre Dame Sister Loretta (Mary James) Fabish, 94, died May 3 at Resurrection Life Center. A Chicago native, she entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1936 and made her first vows in 1939.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at St. Margaret of Scotland (1950-1953); Guardian Angel (1953-1954); Santa Maria Incoronata (1957-1958); St. Benedict, Blue Island (1958-1964); St. Alphonsus (1964-1967); and St. Helena of the Cross (1968-1969).
She moved to Resurrection Life Center in Chicago in 2005.
Deacon Tommy West
ORDAINED IN 1982
Deacon Tommy West, 74, died May 4.
Deacon West was ordained to the permanent diaconate in 1982 and ministered for 20 years at St. Catherine of Genoa Parish and for the last 10 years at St. Helena of the Cross.
He originally came from Resurrection Parish and he was active in being a Big Brother to boys who needed a role model and in feeding the hungry. He had been a coordinator for Marriage Encounter and for the African-American deacons of Chicago. He was a member of the Knights of St. Peter Claver and the Holy Name Society.
He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; his children Jocelyn Purdue, Latonia Walden and Darrin and Derek West, eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Sr. Paulette Kiefer
School Sister of St. Francis Paulette Kiefer, 96, died May 6 in Campbellsport, Wis.
An Iowa native, she was received into the School Sisters of St. Francis in 1933 and made her final vows in 1941.
Beginning in 1934, Sister Paulette worked in schools in Illinois, Wisconsin and Nebraska. In the Archdiocese of Chicago, she taught at Immaculate Conception (1940-1945). She retired to St. Joseph Convent in Campbellsport in 1999 and served in the ministry of prayer and presence.
Sr. Frances Alma McManus
OPENED GUERIN PREP
Providence Sister Frances Alma (Mary Agnes) McManus, 101, died May 16 in St. Mary-of-the- Woods, Ind.
An Illinois native, Sister Frances Alma entered the congregation of the Sisters of Providence in 1928 and professed final vows in 1936.
She opened Mother Theodore Guerin High School, River Grove, in 1962, and she served there as principal until 1969. Retiring from education, she served for 10 years (1978-1988) as the director of the Guerin High School Alumnae. Sister Frances Alma remained in Chicago until 1993 at the Guerin Convent.
Other assignments in the Archdiocese of Chicago included Our Lady of Sorrows (1931-1932) and Providence High School (1938- 1945, 1948-1951).