Fr. Richard Klajbor
Father Richard Klajbor, pastor of Our Lady Mother of the Church Parish, died April 10 at the age of 59. He had suffered from chronic liver disease for the past several years.
Father Klajbor was born in Chicago and attended Catholic elementary schools before entering St. Augustine Seminary, a high school seminary of the Augustinian order in Holland, Mich., in 1967. He spent two years, from 1971 to 1973, at the order’s Tolentine College in Olympia Fields before transferring to Niles College, where he graduated in 1975. He was ordained in 1979 following his graduation from the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary.
He was associate pastor of St. Mary of Perpetual Help (1979- 1983) before going to Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish, where he served as administrator for two years and pastor for five years. During this time, Father Klajbor was the part-time director of the archdiocese’s Office of Ministry to Polonia.
He became pastor of Holy Innocents Parish in Chicago in 1990, and served in that capacity for nearly two decades, until 2008. He helped to establish the Bishop Abramowicz Seminary Program and eventually served as its third rector between 2005 and 2008, the year he was named the pastor of Our Lady, Mother of the Church Parish.
Father Klajbor studied Polish at the University of Krakow and he could say Mass in English, Polish and Spanish, and was a candidate for a doctorate in cross-cultural ministry at Catholic Theological Union.
Father Klajbor is survived by two brothers, Raymond and Ronald.
Fr. John Rosemeyer
Father John C. Rosemeyer, pastor emeritus of Divine Providence Parish, Westchester, died April 13. He was 81 years old and was a resident of St. Benedict Center in Niles.
Two of his brothers were also archdiocesan priests and a sister was a member of the Congregation of St. Joseph.
Father Rosemeyer attended St. Francis Xavier Parish and School in LaGrange. He went to Fenwick High School, Oak Park, and Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary. He attended the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., for one year before entering the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary and was ordained in 1958.
He was assistant pastor at St. Mary of the Lake Parish (1958- 1965) and St. Francis Xavier Parish, Wilmette (1965-68), before going on mission to Cristo Redentor in San Miguelito (1968-1972), a Panamanian mission built by the Archdiocese of Chicago. He was named administrator for one year at Our Lady Gate of Heaven Parish before returning to St. Mary of the Lake in 1973 as assistant pastor. The following year he was named pastor (1974-1987). He then served as pastor at Divine Providence (1987-2002) until his retirement from active ministry, when he was made pastor emeritus.
He is survived by a brother, Father Paul Rosemeyer.
Sr. Marie Frederic Lucks
Sinsinawa Dominican Sister Marie Frederic Lucks, 91, died March 15 in Hazel Green, Wis.
A Wyoming native, Sister Marie Frederic made her first religious profession in 1948 and her final profession in 1951. She taught for 46 years and served as school support staff for 12 years. Sister Marie Frederic served in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Marie Frederic taught at Visitation High School (1948- 1955) and St. Thomas the Apostle (1965-1966).
Sr. Symphorosa Goryszewski
Franciscan Sister of Chicago M. Symphorosa (Susanna) Goryszewski, 80, died March 16.
Sister Symphorosa was born in Poland and entered the congregation of the Servants of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Poland in 1948. For years she discerned about living religious life in the United States, where her father had lived as a young man. She lived and ministered with congregations in New York and Livonia, Mich., before making perpetual vows with the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago in 1976.
She ministered at Madonna High School, St. Joseph Home, Five Holy Martyrs and St. Pancratius convents in Chicago and Our Lady of Victory Convent in Lemont, working as a cook and housekeeper for the other sisters.
Sr. Mary Therese von Holdt
BVM Sister Mary Therese (Barbara Jean) von Holdt, 86, died March 25 in Dubuque, Iowa.
Born in Chicago, she entered the Sisters of Charity, BVM congregation in 1945 from St. Gertrude Parish. She professed final vows in 1953.
In the Archdiocese of Chicago, Sister Mary Therese taught at St. Pius (1949- 1953), St. Jerome (1972- 1979) and St. Gertrude (1979-1980). She resided at Wright Hall in Chicago in later years.