Fr. Joseph McGinnity
Father Joseph McGinnity, 77, pastor emeritus of St. Zachary Parish in Des Plaines, died April 18.
The Chicago native attended and graduated from St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School, Quigley Preparatory Seminary, 1949, and the University of St. Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary, 1956. A former police chaplain, he also taught a Christian marriage class at Brother Rice, Mother Mc- Cauley and Good Counsel high schools.
He was ordained on May 1, 1956 and that year became assistant pastor of St. Linus Parish, Oak Lawn, 1956-1965.
He was assistant pastor of St. Hilary Parish on the city’s north side, 1965-1974, of Queen of Martyrs Parish in Evergreen Park, 1974-1976, and of Oak Lawn’s St. Gerald Parish, 1976-1981.
He was then pastor of St. Zachary Parish, serving for nearly 19 years.
Upon his retirement on Oct. 8, 2000, Father McGinnity was named pastor emeritus of St. Zachary.
Sr. Ann Stephanie Callopy
CHICAGO NATIVE, EDUCATOR
Dominican Sister Ann Stephanie Callopy, 92, formerly Jean Elizabeth, died Feb. 15 in Adrian, Mich.
A Chicago native, she attended Aquinas High School in Chicago and received degrees from Siena Heights University; Adrian, Mich. and DePaul University, Chicago.
She ministered for 36 years in education in Chicago, Rockford, Oak Park and Lombard, Ill.; West Palm Beach, Florida and Buffalo, N.Y.. She was principal of St. Edmund School in Oak Park, 1963- 1969, taught at Aquinas High School, Chicago, 1969-1974 and was administrative assistant to the Midwest Dominican and Upper Midwest Chapters in Chicago, 1985-1991. She lived in Hometown, Ill. and in 1999 became a resident of the Dominican Life Center in Adrian.
Ruth Ann Coughlin
MOTHER OF RAYMOND COUGHLIN
Ruth Ann Coughlin, 86, mother of Raymond P. Coughlin, director of the archdiocesan Department of Stewardship and Development, died Feb. 28 in Cleveland, Ohio.
Her other children, Ann Goyette, Eileen Griffin, Michael Coughlin and Sharon Coughlin also survive her.
Fr. Gerald D. Fraser
ASSOCIATE PASTOR, TEACHER
Father Gerald D. Fraser, vicar for senior priests, died Feb. 18.
He studied at St. Justin Martyr School, Quigley and Loyola University, and was ordained a priest in 1938.
He was associate pastor at St. Francis Xavier Parish on the Northwest Side (now merged with St. Veronica to form Resurrection Parish), alongside his brother, Father Francis Fraser. He was also associate pastor at St. Finbarr; St. Joseph, Wilmette; St. Jerome; Ascension, Harvey; St. Cornelius and St. Lawrence.
He then taught theology at DePaul and Loyola Universities.
Father Fraser was also a counselor at De La Salle High School and St. Viator High School, Arlington Heights. He served as chaplain at Holy Child High School in Waukegan as well.
Fr. Ambrose German
Father Ambrose German, 81, a friar priest of the Chicago-St. Louis Franciscan Province of the Sacred Heart, died March 6 in Hermann, Mo.
He entered the order in 1945, and was given the religious name Ambrose. He was ordained a priest June 29, 1953.
After two years of preparation for preaching and pastoral work (1953-1955), he began teaching at St. Joseph’s Minor Seminary in Westmont, (1955- 1977). He served simultaneously as chaplain for the Sisters of St. Joseph in LaGrange, Ill.
From 1977 until his retirement in 2002 he did parish work in Nebraska and Missouri.
Fr. Henry J. Piacitelli
Father Henry Piacitelli, 90, died March 6 in St. Louis, Mo. After graduation from the seminary for the Congregation of the Mission (the Vincentians) in Cape Girardeau, Mo., in 1937, he entered the congregation and was ordained a priest in 1945.
He taught at DePaul Academy, 1945-46. He also taught at DeAndreis Seminary in Lemont, Ill., 1967-1976 as well as in Missouri.
Father Piacitelli earned degrees from Catholic University in 1950 and the University of Dubuque in 1970.
Father Piacitelli later worked in hospital ministry at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, 1976-1982, and then at various hospitals in Salt Lake City until 1999.
He is survived by his brother John Piacitelli and sisters Helen Smith and Eleanor Dalpiaz.
Sr. Genevieve M. Ulaszek
Felician Sister Genevieve Marie Ulaszek, 77, died March 21 in Chicago. A Chicago native, she joined the Felicians in 1949 from Ss. Peter and Paul Parish.
Formerly known as Sister Mary Donald, she was an elementary school teacher and principal in Illinois and Wisconsin before becoming certified as a medical records technician.
In the archdiocese, from 1958- 1978, Sister Genevieve served as teacher and/or principal at St. Mary Magdalen, Sacred Heart, St. Joseph High School (S. Hermitage), St. Stanislaus (Posen), St. Hubert and St. Bruno.
She was also a medical records technician at a health care facility in Centralia, Ill.