St. Ethelreda Church
8754 S. Paulina St., Chicago
Todays church, with its delicate stained glass windows, was built in 1953 to accommodate a South Side population boom after World War II. In 1927, this mostly Irish parish had built a two-story church-school building, which later became the school gym and hall. In the 1970s as urban populations shifted, St. Ethelreda became a welcoming parish for African-American Catholics.
Liturgies here are real celebrations, with people staying to talk with neighbors. There remains a generous commitment to the upkeep of the church and school by parishioners. Their Willingness to Try program of stewardship gets a loyal and deep-pocket response, including some worshippers who sacrifice to tithe regularly. Its alumni and neighbors may sometimes move away, but not only do they keep coming back, they keep giving back.
Front Page | Digest | Cardinal | Interview | Classifieds | About Us | Write Us | Subscribe | Advertise Archive | Catholic Sites | New World Publications | Católico | Directory | Site Map