Fr. Charles Law
Missionary to Nepal
Jesuit Father Charles Law, 69, died of a heart attack Sept. 9 in Katmandu, Nepal. The Chicago native had recently celebrated his 50th anniversary as a Jesuit.
A graduate of Our Lady of Mercy School and Loyola Academy, he began his college studies at Loyola University, then entered the Jesuits in 1951. After completing his studies, he was assigned to the new mission in Nepal, where he spent most of his teaching career at St. Xaviers, a Jesuit-run secondary school in Katmandu.
He returned to the United States for a time for further studies in order to offer a degree in social work at a new college opened by the Jesuits. The social work program was opened in 1996.
He also left St. Xavier for four years to live in an abandoned teashop and teach science in a leaky school in a remote Nepalese village.
During his years in Nepal, he published a number of poems and three books on character development.
Surviving is a brother, Philip.
Sr. M. Altissima Netzel
Teacher, nurses aide
Franciscan Sister Mary Altissima (Evelyn) Netzel, 85, died Sept. 18 at the Lemont infirmary of the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago.
Born in Chicago, she joined the community in 1932 from Five Holy Martyrs Parish. She taught at schools in Indiana for 27 years and then trained as a nurses aide. After serving in that capacity in South Dakota and Ohio, she returned to Chicago in 1969 to act as supervisor of care at St. Joseph Home. For the past 14 years she served in the infirmary dietary department.
Sr. Margaret Lorman
Taught in Midwest
School Sister of St. Francis Margaret (Dorothy) Lorman, 98, died Sept. 18 in Campbellsport, Wis. Born in Chicago, she was received into the community in Milwaukee in 1924.
Sister Margaret taught in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. In Chicago, she taught at St. Matthias, 1937-38 and 1954-55; and Our Lady of Victory, 1943-54.
Sr. Bernardine Kozak
Teacher, physical therapist
Sister of the Resurrection Bernardine Kozak, 80, died Sept. 19 at Queen of the Resurrection House of Prayer. A member of the community since 1941, she studied at DePaul University and then taught in Chicago and at other Midwestern schools.
After studying at Little Comp-any of Mary School of Nursing, she worked at Resurrection Hospital and Mount Loretto in Am-sterdam, N.Y. She earned a physical therapy degree from St. Louis University in 1964 and worked at Resurrection Medical Center until retiring this year.
Sr. Marguerite Mary Sorg
Taught at Mother Guerin
Sister of Providence Marguerite Mary (Mary Josephine) Sorg, 89, died Sept. 20 at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind. She taught at Providence High School, Chicago, 1941-45, and Mother Theodore Guerin High School, River Grove, 1964-75.
Sr. Mary Joan Lueckenhoff
Franciscan Sister Mary Joan Lueckenhoff, 95, died Sept. 21 in Richmond Heights, Mo. A member of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary since 1927, she received her nursing certificate from St. Louis University in 1936.
Sister Mary Joan served as an obstetric nurse at St. Francis Hospital and Health Center in Blue Island from 1937-1956 and 1958-1972. She also served as a nurse in Ironton and Jefferson City, Mo. As an obstetric nurse, she assisted in more than 30,000 deliveries before retiring in 1980.
Sr. Paraclita Keane
Served at Carmel High School
BVM Sister Paraclita Keane, who served at Carmel High School in Mundelein for 23 years, died Sept. 22 in Dubuque, Iowa. She was 91 and had been a member of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary since 1928.
Born in Chicago, she attended St. Mary High School on the West Side before entering the convent.
A teacher and administrator for many years, she was assigned to schools in California, Montana, Tennessee, Iowa and Illinois. She taught math and was principal at Carmel High School, 1965-88.
Surviving is a sister, BVM Sister Brideen Keane.
Sr. Georgianna McGregor
Teacher, parish minister
BVM Sister Georgianna McGregor, 76, died Sept. 22 in Dubuque, Iowa. The former Chicagoan was a graduate of St. Ignatius School, Immaculata High School and Mundelein College.
She entered the BVM congregation in 1947 and taught at St. Mary High School on the West Side in 1950. Other assignments in the archdiocese were at Mundelein College, 1957-61; St. Marcelline, Schaumburg, 1973-74; and at Our Lady of the Brook, Northbrook, where she was a parish minister from 1977 to 1985.
She also was on the religious education staff of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. Most recently, she worked at a social service agency in Granada Hills, Calif.
Surviving is a sister, Dolores McGowan.
Sr. M. Vincent Sesterhenn
High school teacher
Sister of Christian Charity M. Vincent de Paul Sesterhenn, 84, died Sept. 24 at St. Francis Hospital, Evanston.
Born in Wilmette, she attended St. Joseph School and Mallinckrodt High School and entered the congregation in 1934.
Most of her teaching assignments were in Chicago, beginning with Holy Trinity,1948-50, and St. Aloysius, 1950-52. She then taught physics and math at St. Gregory High School, 1952-63 and 1967-75, and Josephinum High School, 1965-67 and 1975-93. From 1994 to 1996, she was assistant to the local treasurer.
Surviving is a sister, Sister of Christian Charity Mary Cletus.
Sr. Helen Marie Siegrist
Taught at St. Andrew
Sister of Providence Helen Marie Siegrist, 90, died Sept. 25 at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind. She taught at St. Andrew School in Chicago, 1933-35.
Founding member of St. Bede
A funeral Mass for Marie Pollard was offered Oct. 1 at St. Bede the Venerable Church. Principal celebrant was her son, Father Patrick J. Pollard, director of archdiocesan Catholic Cemeteries.
Mrs. Pollard, 82, died Sept. 27 at Oak Park Hospital after a long illness. She had lived at Holy Family Villa, Lemont, for the past four years.
Born Marie Pagano in Chicago, she was a graduate of St. Pascal School where she met her future husband, Richard Pollard. They were married in 1944 and in 1953 moved to the Southwest Side where they were among the founding families of St. Bede the Venerable Parish. In the initial years of the parish, Mass was offered in a local bowling alley and the Pollards helped to raise funds for a parish church. She also was active in the parish altar guild, serving a term as president.
Mrs. Pollard, who worked for 32 years as manager at several drapery stores on the Southwest Side, was a former member of the Oak Lawn Professional Business Women and past secretary-treasurer of the Scottsdale Homeowners Association.
She was preceded in death by her husband. Also surviving are a daughter, Catherine Morris, and a granddaughter, Annie Boyle.
Nicholas J. Feller
Queen of Angels PARISHIONER
A funeral Mass for Nicholas J. Feller, 71, was offered Sept. 26 at Queen of Angels Church, where he had been a parishioner for 42 years. His brother, Father Richard J. Feller, was the principal celebrant and Bishop Basil Meeking, special assistant to Cardinal George, presided.
A lifelong resident of the Lincoln Square-Ravenswood neighborhood, Mr. Feller managed the finances and other aspects of Queen of Angels carnival for 30 years. He also helped organize weekly bingo games and a scholarship program for the school. A Korean veteran, he was past commander of Tattler Post 973.
Mr. Feller worked for Barrett Varnish for 26 years, first as treasurer and then as executive vice president. After an early retirement, he worked for ABC Network News.
Surviving are his wife, Marie; three daughters, Marie Therese Knoll, Margaret and Colleen; two sons, Richard and John; 11 grandchildren; two sisters, Barbara Burton and Margaret Campbell; and another brother, Thomas.
Sr. Mary Roger Fontana
Grade, high school teacher
School Sister of Notre Dame Mary Roger Fontana died Sept. 27 at the Resurrection Life Center. She was retired after a long teaching career on the elementary, secondary and college levels. Her assignments in the archdiocese included St. Benedict, Blue Island; and Guardian Angel, St. Anthony, St. Michael Central and the Academy of Our Lady, Chicago.
Sr. Mary Alfred Belz
Taught in Chicago, Evanston
Sister of Providence Mary Alfred Belz, 96, died Sept. 27 at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind. Born in Chicago, she entered the Sisters of Providence in 1920 and taught in their schools in Indiana, Illinois and Massachusetts.
Her assignments in Chicago were at St. Agnes, St. Sylvester, St. Mel, St. Angela, St. Leo and St. Francis Borgia schools. She also taught at Marywood School in Evanston.